INTERVIEW WITH LISA
How long have you been doing what you do, and how did you get to be a real estate Buyer’s Agent & property educator?
I was 17 years of age and I was working for a small scale property developer. I watched his life and the life of his family change as he transitioned out of the work force and into property developing full time. I loved every single aspect of the work I did with him. From investigating potential deals, attending auctions, ripping out old features of the house to resell before demolition to running around between the draftsman’s office to the council counter lodging forms and plans. I loved it all.
Then there was the lifestyle changes I witnessed
- More time with family
- Working less hours
- More holidays
- Days off once projects were underway
- Long lunches…………..seemingly a life full of freedom.
I was so smitten by the work I was doing and the lifestyle changes I saw were possible, I never wanted to stop……..and I didn’t.
A short while later I moved to Melbourne and took my new found love for property developing and real estate investing with me. I spent every waking hour researching property investment, reading property investing books and attending courses in property investment and began my career as a real estate agent.
At the time agents were not well versed in the art of property investment. So when I was offered a position in the property investment team at a financial planning company I found myself right where I wanted to be.
After moving through the ranks very quickly and rising to be one of the most senior property investment specialists (at age 24), something was not sitting right with me. The more I educated myself and became a property investor, the more I realised that the advice given to clients was not independent or tailored to the client’s needs. I felt dis-enchanted and knowing what I now knew about property investment I could no longer assist clients into properties that I did not consider good investments.
In my heart of hearts I was feeling called to pass forward everything I had learned about property investing and provide independent, un-biased advice to my clients. So from that day forward I dedicated myself to working exclusively for property investors and vowed to deliver my clients with the tailored solutions and independent advice they really needed.
Who Are Your Clients?
In my Buyers Agency clients are typically professionally employed people who want the benefits of property investment, but recognise they do not have the time required to buy an outstanding investment property which will perform the way they expect it to or they do not live local to the area they want to invest in.
I also work with busy home buyers and first time home buyers who are busy, feel overwhelmed by the process of buying, feel intimidated by the thought of bidding at auction or just feel better about hiring a professional to take the task off their hands.
Most of the clients I work with are employed as;
- IT Professionals
- Bank Employees
- Risk Analysis, Engineers and Project Managers
- Business owners
Other clients include interstate buyers, expats and people who live in regional areas wanting to buy property in metro Melbourne.
How Are You Different From Other Buyers Agents?
There are 2 main things that set us apart from other Buyer’s Agents
- Each area specialist works with a maximum of 4 clients at one time which means you don’t have the risk of having other clients with a similar brief competing for similar properties and you
- Strategic Property Investing System – We work wit clients in the exact same way that I approach my own investing. The Strategic Property Investing system is a proven, structured step by step system that I developed through my many years of experience and training from my own property mentors. Following this systematic approach leads to buying property that is a fit for you based on 12 unique aspects about you and your situation. These 12 points remove the narrow focus of property selection and look at the greater aspects of choosing a property to suit your overall investment strategy, lifestyle and future financial commitments.
What Types Of Personalities Do You Work Best With
We have a certain type of client who we adore working with and who love working with us too. Over our many years of experience we have identified the traits of people who are a perfect fit for our team and process.
Investors who work perfectly with Parker Buyer’s Advocates;
- Want to invest in property is a safe, steady and strategic fashion
- Want to buy for the long term (buy and hold investors)
- Like low risk deals or deals where risk can be calculated with a degree of accuracy
- Have a strong financial foundation (ie equity, savings and an ability to hold the property while it is negatively geared)
- Have a minimum budget of $450,000 to invest
- Are able to work collaboratively with us to reach a successful result in a timely fashionWe are known to work best with people who want to invest in property safely and strategically. Meaning that the decision making process comes down to;
- Which properties make the most financial sense
- Match clients risk profile and
- Fit within their property investment strategy
Home buyers who work perfectly with Parker Buyer’s Advocates;
- Are really committed to buying a property
- Wanting expert guidance in their property selection and will listen to guidance
- Have a realistic expectation of what they can achieve, or
- Are willing to work with us to develop a realistic brief
- Get back to us in a timely fashion with their decision
- Are focussed and committed to achieving a successful outcome
- Consider properties we shortlist with an open mind and don’t reject great properties “just because”
We love working with clients who ask great questions, analyse the information provided before making a well-considered decisions
and people who feel more comfortable with us and trust our guidance and expertise.
For Whom Will Your Service Not Work For
There are a few types of people for whom our service does not work well for;
1) Serial procrastinators who are stuck in analysis paralysis and are not prepared to move past procrastination.
2) People who are not financially ready for investment. You must have equity or savings, an income and some savings capacity to use the buyers advocacy service.
3) Investors looking to flip property – our investing philosophy work best for people who are looking to grow a portfolio of property steadily, one property at a time in a safe and strategic manner. (We do assist investors with more advance strategies like buying for subdivision, renovation and future development, but clients must be looking for a longer term project not a quick flip)
4) Investors looking for very high or positive cash flow investment properties. They do not exist in Melbourne.
5) Clients who want to do our job along side us. We understand how exciting buying property can be, however when a client does our job for us we are likely to miss steps in our own processes which could lead to missed opportunities or end up in you paying more than you would have for a property. For this reason we communicate clearly throughout the process how clients can get the best outcomes when working with us.
6) Unfocussed clients – clients who regularly change their brief, budget or desired outcomes are typically clients who do not reach a successful result easily. While small changes of mind are part of the process, clients who frequently change their mind could end up losing really good opportunities to other buyers who are focussed and ready to act.
7) People who want the impossible – we don’t like to string people along and waste time so we will opt to take on assignments that are realistic and achievable.
8) Price shoppers – if you are looking for the cheapest buyers advocate, we wont be a fit for you. Our fees are reflective of our experience and longevity in the industry and demand for our service.
What Exactly Is Your Service & What Does It Include
The Buyers Agency service is a full turn key solution laid out in a logical, step by step process.
1) Get Acquainted Call – we meet over the phone to see if we are a fit to work together
2) Engagement – Paper work is signed and deposit for the service paid
3) Strategy or briefing session – a phone or in-person meeting where we deep dive into your home hunting brief or investment goals
4) Location Analysis – We present areas for your consideration, you confirm which suburbs and property types we will be searching for
5) Search Phase – we search and present properties that meet your brief, investigate and inspect and put only the best matches in front of you for your review and consideration
6) Analyse, compare & choose most suitable property – we provide you with the data and information you need to make a fully informed decision
7) Finalise due diligence – when you choose your preferred property we finalise any outstanding due-diligence items before preparing our offer or bid at auction
8) Offer or bid at auction – we work with you to develop a winning negotiation strategy. The trick here is to help you acquire the property without over paying.
9) Post Purchase Activities – we guide you through the action steps you must take between purchase and settlement and arrange depreciation schedules, property management on your behalf
10) Investors – Rent out, review in 6 months and prepare to purchase again
10) Home buyers – send out the House warming invites – you’re about to move into your own home!!
What Results Can I Expect From Working With You
You can expect to:
- Hone in on the EXACT properties that will get you the results you want
- Create a clearly defined property investment strategy that will keep you focussed on the right type of property (or home buyers brief)
- Set appropriate financial limits on properties you are interested in purchasing
- Eliminate non-ideal properties efficiently so you can focus on properties that will work for you
- Have an expert deal with the selling agents so they do not waste your time dragging you through properties that don’t fit your brief
- Avoid chasing under-quoted properties so you can focus on properties which will sell within your budget
- Reach your ideal properties off-market before other buyers have a chance to view them
- Think smarter about property rather than allowing personal preferences or emotions guide you (investors)
- Get your results many months sooner than you would if you DIY
- Become an expert in property investment by “doing” rather than observing or reading
- Create power partnerships with key property professionals who will make your property journey easy
- Create winning negotiation strategies and offers that vendors will want to accept
- Receive specific advice and support during and after your property purchase
- Get financial analysis reports which will help guide your decisions
- Access a system which allows you to strategically compare a number of shortlisted properties to determine which property is the outstanding choice
How Quickly Can I Expect a Positive Result?
A result can happen as quickly as a few weeks or up to few months. It depends on your brief, budget, competition and availability of the types of properties that will work best for you. Typically clients purchase within 2-12 weeks when working with us.
Have You Ever Had Anyone Not Get A Positive Result
Occasionally prospective clients ask “what if you don’t find a property that I am happy with”?
In 11 years of being a Buyer’s Advocate assisting hundreds of investors, this has only ever happened a handful of times. It isn’t a common occurrence due to the following factors
1) Appropriate screening for both client and me to ensure that we are good fit to work together
2) Due to our experience in the Melbourne property market we identify very early on when there is a misalignment with a clients brief and what is possible in reality. Our role as Buyers Advocate’s is to assist clients to know what is realistic so that expectations for what is possible is aligned right from the beginning.
3) We have guidelines for clients to follow to ensure their success. When clients do not follow the guidelines and are experiencing delays in their search because of this we have a meeting to discuss changes that need to be made to ensure a successful outcome.
What Happens If You Have 2 People With the Exact Same Brief?
We only work with one client brief at one time.
If you have a brief that is already similar to an existing client search you will have the option of waiting for that client to finish their service or you can elect to hear about any properties the first client has refused. We do have clients pass up exceptional properties from time to time, so you would not be disadvantaged by this. We will never offer a second grade property to any client. Ever.
Should the client before you find it difficult to make decisions within time frames we require or decline “A” grade properties you may be moved to the front of the list. There will be transparency around this for both clients involved.
How Can I Guarantee My Success ?
1) Make sure we are the rightBuyers Advocate for you (I encourage you to have a look at the case studies and results I have achieved for past clients, also read the section on this page that speaks specifically about who we work with and who will not be a good fit for us. Each section will give you a clear idea of what is possible when you work with me to make sure we are a fit)
2) Have a realistic brief (or be willing to allow us to guide you)
3) Be clear about the outcomes you value most
4) Communicate clearly about what you like and don’t like about properties presented to you
5) Act quickly and consider opportunities logically (don’t let fear get in your way)
If you like what you see here the next step would be for us to have a Get Acquainted Session – this is a 20 minute phone call where we discuss your requirements and goals. Based on your requirements and our discussion, we will be able to let you know right away if we can deliver a successful result.
On that note – Our reputation and track record is the life blood of our advocacy. Therefore we very selective about who we work with. If we are not 2000% confident that we can get the result you are looking for, or we feel we would not a good fit to work together we will suggest that we do not proceed. If we know of another professional who could assist you we will happily refer you.
We wouldn’t want to agree to working with you if we couldn’t deliver a result you would be happy with. It just wouldn’t be fair (or enjoyable) for either of us.
Roughly how much can I expect to pay when using a buyers agent ?
As a guide, for a full service you would be looking at an investment of approximately 2.2% (including gst) of your budget for purchases over $600,000. For purchases below $600,000 we offer a flat fee of $13,200 inc gst.
When do I pay the fee?
The total fee is made up of two instalments.
- Engagement – when you engage our services a deposit for the service is payable
- Success fee – once a property has been successfully negotiated and is under contract (remainder of the fee)
What if I am concerned about paying a percentage of the purchase price?
That’s O.K. While it makes little difference to what your final fee is we do understand your concern and are happy to fix your fee upfront if you prefer.
Will I Recover My Investment In Your Service?
There are a few ways that you will recover your investment in my buyer’s agent service.
1) Time saved
Many of my clients come to me after trying to buy real estate for 12 months. When you work with me, you not only save 12 months of trying to DIY, but because of the resources I have access to and my experience I am able to hone in on the right properties faster and negotiate to win the ideal property for you quickly.
2) Experienced gained
Some of my clients love the idea of hiring me for their first 1-2 purchases before they venture off and DIY. That way they can learn from an expert AND get their desired result saving them from having to invest money into expensive property training and mentors.
3) Savings off ask price
Depending on the property market, your budget and your brief it is possible for you to save a lot of money off the asking price. You can view the case studies to see the varying amounts and circumstances surrounding the discounts clients have enjoyed.
4) Tax Deductions
If you are buying an investment property my fee may be tax deductible. Please speak with your accountant about this and be sure to keep your invoice and receipt with your purchase details so you remember to claim the fee as a tax deduction.
5) Make Money on Purchase
As the old saying goes “you make money when you purchase”, and that can certainly be the case for my clients when they work with me. My experience and expertise gives you the upper hand when it comes to securing a property before it hits the market and without competition which means you pay less for the property than you would if you were a weekend buyer competing against multiple offers. Buying below market value gives you instant equity and places you ahead of the game.
Can You Locate Cash Flow Positive Properties?
Melbourne is not known for having really high rental yields, so typically the answer is No. However, if you have a large cash deposit and interest rates are low, this may result in your property being cash flow positive.
Do You Have Access to Off-Market Properties?
Yes, approximately half of our purchases are off-market.
What Price Range Do You Typically Work With?
We work with clients with budgets of $450,000 up to $2,600,000.
Which areas do you cover?
We analyse and consider all of Metro Melbourne and have area specialists in the Inner West, Inner & Outer North, Bayside, Mornington Peninsula & Eastern Suburbs.
We do not cover Geelong, regional Victoria.
Are You a Member Of Any Industry Associations and Are You Appropriately Insured and Licensed?
Yes. We hold the relevant license to work professionally as a Buyers Advocate, are Corporate Members of the Real Estate Institute of Victoria (REIV) and hold professional indemnity insurance.
Are you 100% independent?
Yes, 100% of our work is in the interest of the purchaser.
- NOT receive any referral commissions form an third party
- NOT offer vendor advocacy
- NOT sell real estate, and
- NOT have affiliations with any builders or developers
We are 100% independent buyers advocates in the truest sense of the word.
Lisa & team, based on everything I’ve read and heard about you, I know you’re the firm I would like to work with. What are my options for getting started with you?
Yay! We are thrilled to have the opportunity to help you purchase your dream home or investment property.
To get started with buying your ideal property and to find out more about the service offering please book a time to discuss the options further. Click here to book a time
Click here to organise a “Get Acquainted” call. A Get Acquainted call is a 20-30 min phone call, where we discuss your hopes, property goals and lifestyle dreams. During the call we will be happy to answer any questions you have. We can’t wait to meet you in person or on the phone to get you started on your path to buying your dream home, building a property portfolio, or both! Click here to Get Acquainted